We used to get cauliflowers only in winters back in 60s and 70s in India. The smell of cooking cauliflower, potatoes, peas, carrots and fresh cilantro from kitchen would permeate the whole house and you could tell winter is here! Now all vegetables are available year round but I am still used to cooking seasonal like my mom. The only way to tell what vegetable is in season now is when they are in plenty and inexpensive.
I posted in another blog Basic Tomato Sauce Indian style recipe which is actually called “masala”. We will use that basic “masala” to make cauliflower today! Click here to see the sauce recipe.
Once we prepared the basic “masala”, all we need is a head of cauliflower, some potatoes, carrots and peas and the yummy vegetable dish will be ready in about 20 minutes.
Add the vegetables you want, I only had some cauliflower and carrots so that’s what I used today.
Stir to coat the basic sauce well, add some salt, cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes. You will need to stir a few times during cooking.
Fork test to see if vegetables are done. Add some chopped cilantro in the end.
Here is the recipe.
Cauliflower in Indian Style Basic Tomato Sauce
SERVES: 4-6 PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup of the basic tomato sauce Indian style (or half the recipe)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 medium size potatoes, scrubbed well and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 – 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Place 1 cup of basic tomato sauce or basic “masala” in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, carrots and peas.
- Add salt and stir to coat the vegetables well with the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are done. You will need to stir the vegetables a few times during cooking.
- Add chopped cilantro and enjoy it with Indian flat bread or rice.
I would love to hear from you! Write your comments in the comment section below.