This cupcake is delicious! It’s a guilt-free healthy treat because it’s loaded with veggies. This is a versatile recipe. You can use any proportion of veggies on hand as long as total quantity is same as listed. I made these inspired by this recipe. I used a mix of almond and coconut flour in place of whole-wheat flour, and replaced agave with real maple syrup. Try any version you like, you will not be disappointed!
This is after mixing dry and wet ingredients together when I added shredded veggies. Forgot to take pictures of earlier steps… I was too eager to make it quick 🙂
Fill in the lined muffin tin
Once the cupcakes went into the oven, I made the avocado icing.
You can eat this icing on its own, YUM!
While icing is cooling down in the refrigerator, cupcakes come out of the oven. I became too enthusiastic about veggies and crammed too much, so they didn’t rise as much. My 2nd batch rose much higher. Hard to wait for them to cool down!
Here is the recipe.
Quick Zucchini Carrot Cupcakes
SERVES: 12 PREP TIME: 10 minutes BAKE TIME: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk (here is homemade almond milk recipe)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrot
For Avocado Icing
- 1/3 cup almond milk (here is homemade almond milk recipe)
- 3 small or medium avocado
- 1/2 cup carob powder or raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup (a little extra if using cacao powder)
- A pinch of salt (optional)
To Make Cupcakes
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix real maple syrup, almond milk and coconut oil in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix them well.
- Add zucchini and carrots and combine them well.
- Fill each liner half way with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 15 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely and ice with the avocado icing. Enjoy!
To Make Avocado Icing:
- Process all ingredients listed for icing in a food processor or a blender. I used an immersion blender.
- Refrigerate for at least half hour before using.
I will love to hear how your cupcakes turned out! Please share in the comments below.